Steelers survive comeback, wild overtime to beat Seahawks



After blowing a 14-point advantage, the Pittsburgh Steelers looked like they still had the game won on Sunday night at Heinz Field.

Trying to fend off a comeback in the final seconds, it appeared that the Steelers forced a fumble and didn’t leave enough time for the Seattle Seahawks to recover and spike the ball for a last-second field goal attempt.

But, even after the game clock on the Heinz Field scoreboards and on NBC’s broadcast had hit zero, officials called a review on the play. That decision ended up adding time back to the clock, and eventually allowed Seahawks kicker Jason Myers to send the “Sunday Night Football” game into overtime.

Though Mike Tomlin and Co. weren’t happy with the ruling — Tomlin was seen fuming on the sidelines — it still worked out in their favor in the end.

Steelers defensive end T.J. Watt forced a huge fumble late in overtime and put Chris Boswell in position to sink a 37-yard field goal to give them the 23-20 win.

Seahawks nearly blow shot at overtime

Even after a brutal start, Seattle never went away.

The Seahawks, without Russell Wilson or Chris Carson, only mustered 65 total offensive yards in the first half while falling into a two-score hole. Though the Steelers didn’t look great either, they had the clear advantage early on.

The Seahawks, though, opened up the second half with two touchdowns on their first two drives and jumped right back in the game.

Then, down three points with just less than 90 seconds left, Smith had yet another shot to lead the Seahawks to a game winning drive. Smith jumped in last week for Wilson, , and nearly led a game-winning drive.

This time, he did the same thing. Smith put the Seahawks into Pittsburgh territory quickly, and then hit Metcalf on a 12-yard gain on the sidelines with about 15 seconds left on the clock. Without any timeouts, Metcalf should have simply stepped out of bounds.

Instead, though, he tried to gain a few extra yards — which resulted in him losing the ball and the clock still running.

As they tried to spike it, the clocks ran out and the Steelers sideline started to run onto the field to celebrate the win. That’s when officials called the review of the catch itself, something that seemed obvious in real time.

After they determined it was a catch as initially called, Seattle was granted three more seconds on the clock — which was plenty of time for a spike and then a 43-yard Myers field goal.

But, after a few failed drives in overtime, Watt came in to save the day for the Steelers. After Smith tried to run it himself, Watt brought him down and forced a fumble in the process, which Devin Bush recovered in perfect position.

That, after everything, gave Boswell a straight shot at his game-winning field goal.

This post will be updated with more information shortly.


Source link